In 2014 the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) issued guidelines which impacted the type of investments which can be held in SIPPs. Investment structures were split into two categories: standard and non-standard assets. A list of standard assets was published, details of which can be found below. In general, we are able to accommodate all investment requests into standard assets, subject to the completion of our internal due diligence:
- Bank account deposits
- Cash funds
- Corporate bonds
- Exchange traded commodities
- Government and local authority bonds and other fixed interest stocks
- Physical gold bullion
- Investment notes (structured products)
- Shares in investment trusts
- Managed pension funds
- National Savings and Investment (NS&I) products
- Permanent interest-bearing shares (PIBS)
- Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Shares listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE), the Alternative Investment Market (AIM) or a recognised overseas investment exchange
- UK commercial property including agricultural land
- Units in regulated collective investment schemes
We will continue to consider investments that do not appear on this list, known as non-standard assets. However, these will be subject to a thorough due diligence process. As a result of this process, we reserve the right to not proceed with a requested investment.
Please note that in certain circumstances investments originally deemed as standard assets by the FCA could be subsequently deemed as non-standard. In this scenario, we reserve the right to either carry out further due diligence or not proceed with the investment. We levy additional fees for assessing and holding non-standard investments.
Please contact us for further information about our fees for non-standard assets or if you have any queries about whether a specific investment is acceptable within the IPM SIPP.
Please note: I.P.M. SIPP Administration Limited cannot provide any advice in regard to investments or their suitability. Independent financial advice should be sought before a client makes any investment within their IPM SIPP.